Part 1 of Spiritual Roots of Insomnia
What is Insomnia
Insomnia is an inability to sleep no matter what you do. It is a lack of sleep. Any sleep disturbance that lasts over three weeks may be considered insomnia and over 64 millions suffer from insomnia. Some suffer from chronic insomnia.
Spiritual Roots of Insomnia Symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Feeling tired upon waking
Types of Insomnia (Spiritual Roots of Insomnia)
There are two types of insomnia: primary insomnia and secondary insomnia.
- Primary insomnia: Primary insomnia means that a person is having sleep problems that are not directly associated with any other health condition or problem.
- Secondary insomnia: Secondary insomnia means that a person is having sleep problems because of something else, such as a health condition like heartburn, pain, depression, etc.
What are some of the sleep disorders causes? Coffee or any other type of stimulant can cause insomnia. Some medications used for allergies or colds cause insomnia sleep disruption.
Other insomnia causes are working in the evening or late at night can cause insomnia. Environmental factors like noise, light or extreme temperatures that interfere causing sleep disorders.
Medical conditions cause insomnia
Do you suffer from arthritis and have pain keeping you up? Other conditions contributing to insomnia – migraines, prostatic hypertrophy, or menopause, all of which may cause insomnia and also require additional medical attention.
There are spiritual roots of insomnia that is not physical but spiritual.
Causes of acute insomnia can include:
- Significant life stress (job change, job loss, death of a loved one, divorce, etc.
- Emotional and physical issues
- Traumatic events opens a person to a spirit of fear
- Insomnia because of trauma in the womb
Spiritual Root Cause of Insomnia
Worry or anxiety which is a spirit of fear is a major cause of insomnia. Do you worry about your children, job, bills, husband, wife, issues of life? You go to bed and cannot stop thinking about it? That will cause insomnia.
If you are a Christian, then it is necessary to cast your cares to the Lord instead of carrying the worry or concern. 1 Peter 5:7 says to cast your cares to the Lord. Do you trust the Lord to take care of your problems and worries? Could there be a lack of faith?
Proverbs 17:22 “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine but a broken spirit drieth up the bones” The immune system is in the bone.
How can stress cause insomnia?
Worry and fear exhaust the power God gives us to face every day problems and to accomplish responsibilities. These are sinful wastes.
1. Fret not—He loves you (John 13:1)
2. Faint not—He holds you (Psalm 139:10)
3. Fear not—He keeps you (Psalm 121:5)
Bottom line fear and worry is sin. Fear is a barrier to the promises of God.